Do you visit Reddit.com? No? Well you should. At least, if you want to improve yourself and your life you should. At first glance, Reddit looks like a place of memes and overused jokes, but it doesn’t have to be that way. If you can get past the bullshit, there is a world of knowledge and resources. You just have to know where to look. So let’s get started.
First, go to Reddit.com right now and register an account. You need to register an account if you wish to customize Reddit to your liking. Then install the Reddit Enhancement Suite for your web browser. RES gives you some awesome features that normal Reddit doesn’t, such as comment saving and post previewing.
Here is the fun part. Now we subscribe to subreddits. First let’s look at the essential self improvement and intellectually stimulating subreddits:
- /r/AskHistorians - Ask about the past and get answers from historical experts.
- /r/askscience - MUST SUBSCRIBE. Improve your scientific literacy and understand more about how everything works.
- /r/Cooking – You do it everyday (and if you don’t, you should). Might as well learn how to do it well.
- /r/dataisbeautiful - Beautiful graphs and charts on anything and everything.
- /r/decidingtobebetter – A place to share ideas on getting better.
- /r/documentaries - Find mind-opening documentaries to watch (a lot of freebies online).
- /r/EveryManShouldKnow - Bacon and whiskey. Stuff every man should know.
- /r/explainlikeimfive - MUST SUBSCRIBE. Don’t understand something? Get an explanation that a kindergartener could understand.
- /r/Fitness - MUST SUBSCRIBE. Squats, oats, and squats. Get yourself in shape. Just beware of the occasional bro science.
- /r/Foodforthought – Intelligent and thought provoking commentaries on life and culture.
- /r/Frugal - Don’t spend more money than you have to. Make sure you read the comments here. Sometimes advice can come across as a bit too cheap.
- /r/getmotivated - Get motivated to get off your ass and do something.
- /r/howto – Learn how to do just about anything.
- /r/howtonotgiveafuck - A community that recognizes the absurdity of attaching desire to anything.
- /r/IWantToLearn - MUST SUBSCRIBE. Are you looking to learn a new hobby but don’t know where to start? Go here and get pointed in the right direction.
- /r/malefashionadvice - MUST SUBSCRIBE. This is quite possibly my favorite subreddit. It’s full of guides and information, and the community is very active and very helpful.
- /r/malegrooming - Get that hair under control and put on some deodorant.
- /r/malelifestyle - Everything manly.
- /r/malelivingspace – Improve and maintain your living space.
- /r/minimalism - Avoid clutter.
- /r/personalfinance - MUST SUBSCRIBE. You probably have a job, maybe even some student loan debt. Learn to budget and how best to spend your hard-earned dollars.
- /r/philosophy - Anything to do with the subject of philosophy.
- /r/PoliticalDiscussion - Discuss politics in a civilized manner. This subreddit is much more balanced and open-minded than /r/politics.
- /r/psychology - Understand your mind.
- /r/RedditDayOf - Share interesting facts and articles about the subject of the day.
- /r/science – The latest science news.
- /r/seduction – MUST SUBSCRIBE. Yes, a lot of this subreddit is about manipulating and scoring with chicks, but a lot of it isn’t. There is a lot of stuff about gaining confidence and improving oneself.
- /r/selfimprovement - Improve yourself in all aspects of your life.
- /r/sex - MUST SUBSCRIBE. It’s something everyone should know how to do and do well.
- /r/SocialEngineering – The art of manipulating people.
- /r/socialskills - Tips and advice on interacting with others.
- /r/travel - Warning: This subreddit will make you want to drop everything and go out and explore the world.
- /r/TrueReddit - MUST SUBSCRIBE. What Reddit aspires to be; a place for insightful articles and thoughtful discussion.
- /r/YouShouldKnow - MUST SUBSCRIBE. Everything you should be aware of.
- /r/ZenHabits – MUST SUBSCRIBE. Simple and practical wisdom on happiness and self improvement.
Now I’m going to list a few subreddits that are more hobby specific that I find appealing. You might not be interesting in some of these, and that’s fine. I encourage you to go out and find subreddits that align with your interests.
- /r/AskCulinary – Get your cooking questions answered.
- /r/bicycling – It’s cheap transportation and will keep you in damn good shape.
- /r/bodyweightfitness - Don’t have time to go to the gym? That’s cool. Get a workout at home with nothing but your own body.
- /r/books - Everybody can and should read more.
- /r/booksuggestions - Struggle to find books that keep your attention? Don’t know what to read next? Get suggestions based on your interests.
- /r/buildapc - Building a computer is as easy as assembling a LEGO set. Learn how here.
- /r/CampingAndHiking – Get outside and explore nature.
- /r/chess - Great for chess beginners. Learn strategies and the intricacies of the game.
- /r/climbing - A thrilling activity and a great way to stay in shape.
- /r/DIY - Get hands on and build/fix it yourself.
- /r/Entrepreneur – Learn to put your ideas into action.
- /r/FreeThought - A toned down, less hate-filled version of /r/atheism.
- /r/frugalmalefashion – Find good deals on good clothes.
- /r/graphic_design - A place for graphic design news, theory, and resources.
- /r/guitar - A fun and addicting instrument.
- /r/homebrewing - Learn to brew delicious beer.
- /r/languagelearning - Finally learn that second language.
- /r/learnprogramming – Whether you want to learn C, JAVA, Assembly, Python, HTML, or whatever else, they have you covered.
- /r/LearnUselessTalents - Learn to moonwalk, fold a shirt in half a second, or make shadow puppets.
- /r/LucidDreaming - Explore your dreams.
- /r/meditation - Clear your mind.
- /r/photography - A place to discuss the tools, technique, and culture of photography.
- /r/running – It’s good for your physical and mental health.
- /r/simpleliving - Live a simpler, saner life.
- /r/space - There is so much out there that we know so little about.
- /r/Survival – The apocalypse is coming. Be prepared.
- /r/wicked_edge - Traditional wet shaving is an art and a fantastic hobby.
- /r/writing - Whether you’re writing fiction or non-fiction, get tips and share material here.
Ask questions. Participate in the discussion. You will find people on Reddit are helpful and willing to answer questions, particularly the redditors in the subreddits listed above. Get involved, but first read the sidebars. Each subreddit (usually) has a sidebar to the right full of information and links. If you have a beginner question, chances are the sidebar has your answer. If that fails, try searching the subreddit’s history for similar posts.
Reddit is an amazing resource full of great stories, interesting people, and mind-blowing knowledge, but it can be addicting. Remember to take breaks and visit the real world.
Good luck and happy redditing!